The liver is the engine of the body, carrying out hundreds of vital tasks, and so it’s not surprising that it’s full of healthy nutrients. It’s especially rich in vitamins (including vitamins A, B, D,E and K) and minerals, as well as providing a good source of protein and fatty acids.
This pate recipe combines all the goodness of liver with the easily digestible energy from rice to make a tasty treat which is ideal as an occasional meal.
You will need:
• 60g (2.1oz) rice
• 100g (3.5oz) liver (lamb or chicken)
• 1 teaspoon dried kelp
• A little milk or cream
1. The best way to cook the rice and liver is to boil them together in a pan of water. This allows all the flavour of the liver to soak into the rice, giving the whole pate extra taste. Chop the liver into chunks and then boil with the rice until the rice is tender.
2. Drain away the water and pour the rice and liver into a blender, along with the kelp (this is dried seaweed which is an excellent source of iodine, essential for your cat’s thyroid gland – don’t add this though if your cat has an over-active thyroid, a condition called (hyperthyroidism.)
3. Blend everything together until it forms a rich pate, adding a little milk or cream as required. Form it into a nice shaped mould if you’re feeling artistic – or just spoon onto a plate if you’re not!
4. Pop it in the fridge to cool and serve with a sprinkling of dried kibble on top.