Every dog I’ve ever known loves bacon, which is why these lovely chewy treats are such a winner.
They’re made of crunchy pieces of bacon in a chewy dough made from liver, egg and flour, and they are brilliant as training treats.
So cook up a batch and keep them to hand for an occasional reward or training titbit.
For a decent sized batch you will need:
• 225g liver
• 1 egg
• 1 cup flour
• ¼ teaspoon oregano
• 2 rashers bacon
1. Fry the bacon until just crisp, and then allow to cool before cutting up into tiny pieces. Keep the fat from the cooking as you’ll need that in a minute.
2. Next, put the liver into the blender and whiz until it forms a thick red sludge. Pour in the fat from the frying pan (wait until it has cooled a little), break in the egg, and sprinkle in the oregano.
3. Fire up the blender again and continue to mix for a few seconds, until it forms a nice, uniform paste. Then pour it into a large mixing bowl and add in the bacon and mix well.
4. Finally, add the flour and mix in to form a thick dough which you can roll out and divide into grape-sized pieces.
5. Place these on a well-greased baking tray and cook in a moderate oven for half an hour.
The content of this article should not replace the advice given to you by your vet. If you are in any doubt, please refer back to your pets veterinary surgeon