This recipe combines pasta with healthy protein from chicken and a few pureed veg to make a meal which is suitable for all dogs – and especially those active hounds who spend all their time chasing balls in the park.
You Will Need:
50g pasta – any shape will do
1 chicken drumstick
100g assorted veg
1 teaspoon brewer’s yeast (optional)
1. Boil a large pan of water, drop the drumsticks in and simmer for ten minutes.
2. Add the pasta and cook for another 10-12 minutes until it is nice and soft. Cooking the pasta with the chicken means it’ll taste meaty which makes it much more appetising to dogs
3. While the pasta and chicken are simmering away, take any odd bits of leftover raw veg you can find – e.g carrots, broccoli, beans NOT tomatoes, mushrooms and onions and place them into a food processor. Blend them together until they form a rich puree, and leave it in the processor for now.
4. Drain the pasta and chicken when the pasta is still quite firm (or al dente as they say in Italy). This will give the dish a bit more texture, which is important for palatability. Take out the chicken and remove the bones discard them somewhere where the dog can’t get to it!
5. Then add the chicken meat to the veg in the blender and whiz it up until it is all finely chopped together, adding in the brewer’s yeast if you have some. Then mix the chicken and veg paste in with the pasta and serve once cool.